Why take an IB Educator’s Certificate?

IB World Schools often recruit teachers with prior IB experience, leaving those without experience with fewer employment opportunities. Western’s Teaching and Learning Certificate complements your academic qualifications, gaining you access to employment opportunities in IB schools around the world.  Holding an IB Educator Certificate confirms to prospective employers in the international education community that you have a deep understanding of the IB.

Educators of a Leadership Practice Certificate will be exceptionally attractive candidates for new leadership roles. In addition, incumbents currently in a leadership position will enhance their skills for effective leadership, particularly in IB schools, but also in any international education.

Can I take this program while working/studying full time? Can I take it from another time zone?

The program is delivered entirely online in an asynchronous environment. While there may be some opportunities for synchronous online meetings (which are always optional), the bulk of the coursework is completed asynchronously within the weekly schedule identified by the instructor.  This offers you the flexibility to complete the module requirements at a time that suits your schedule. 

Who are the instructors who will guide my learning?

IBEC instructors are experienced members of the IB Educator Network, trained and qualified by the IB to deliver the content and skills of this program. They are highly experienced in their subject areas, occupy IB teaching positions or IB leadership roles, and have worked in multiple IB schools globally.  Throughout the four modules, you will have multiple instructors and instructing styles, giving you diverse viewpoints and experiences. 

How is this certification recognized? Who recognizes this credential?

Upon successfully completing the IBEC program, Western Education will notify the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO), which recognizes and issues your official certificate. All IB schools and recruitment agencies around the world recognize (and some require) the value and benefits of an IB Educator Certificate. 

Who should enroll in the Teaching and Learning Certificate?

The IBEC in Teaching and Learning is designed for practicing and aspiring educators who would like to become qualified to teach in an IB school.  Teaching experience is not a requirement of this program; any student enrolled in a qualified teaching program can apply; students do not have to be graduated from their teaching program or be practicing teachers.

Who should enroll in the Leadership Practice Certificate?

Anyone interested in improving their leadership capabilities is an excellent candidate for the Leadership Practice Certificate.  Veteran leaders will benefit from examining the research based IB Leadership Intelligence framework while re-examining their own leadership practice. Aspiring leaders will be poised to step into, and flourish in, new and challenging roles.  Leadership experience is not a requirement of the program, although candidates must have at least three years of teaching experience. This enhances the quality of the program as experienced educators work towards new understandings of leadership and education.

Which level and subject specialization is right for me within the Teaching and Learning Certificate?

Within the IB Teaching and Learning Certificate program, the level and subject area you choose will be the certification you receive from IB upon completion of the program. The Primary Years Program (PYP) level qualifies you to teach ages 3-12, the Middle Years Program (MYP) level qualifies you to teach ages 11-16, and the Diploma Program (DP) level qualifies you to teach ages 16-19.  In selecting a subject specialization, we recommend candidates take the IBEC in the subject area that aligns most strongly with their undergraduate degree and teachable within their teaching degree.

What funding options are available to me?

You can choose to pay tuition in four equal installments, before the beginning of each module, instead of as a lump sum payment.

There are many external funding opportunities for competitive candidates in our professional programs. See our graduate students funding page for a list of over 30 external awards.  Please note that students must apply for these awards individually. Read the qualifications carefully, and contact the award provider for more criteria and award information.

The Government of Canada's CanLearn website provides a listing of contact information for the offices of all government student financial assistance programs. Please visit CanLearn to find your province or territory listing. The Government of Canada implemented the Lifelong Learning Plan (LLP) to encourage higher education and training. The LLP allows you to withdraw up to $10,000 a year from your registered retirement savings plan (RRSPs) to finance training or education for you or your spouse or common-law partner.

What technology will I need to access the program?

The program requires a computer and internet access to Western’s online learning platform (OWL), as well as the ability to connect online to other websites and resources as required.  Please note that although you will gain access to the OWL platform prior to the beginning of the program, course content will not be available to you until the first day of the module.

How do I get a receipt for my program?

A receipt is emailed to course candidates upon payment.  If you require a more detailed receipt, please contact ibwestern@uwo.ca

Western does not issue a tax receipt for the IB program as this is considered a non-degree, non-credit program since it is a professional certification.  For more information regarding tax credits, please visit the Canada Revenue Agency or consult with a tax professional.