Dr Susan Rodger
Susan Rodger is a Psychologist and Associate Professor in the Graduate Program in Counselling Psychology at the Faculty of Education at Western University and a Research Associate at the Centre for Research and Education on Violence Against Women and Children and the Centre for School-Based Mental Health. She works within the education and child welfare systems to enhance awareness and capacity with respect to both adult and child mental health. Her research interests include barriers to mental health treatment, mental health literacy for teachers, teacher candidates and foster care providers, and the influence of exposure to violence on learning. She is currently working on two national projects developing resources for teacher wellness and supporting child and youth mental health in schools.
- Koenig, A., Rodger, S. & Specht, J. (January 9, 2017). Educator burnout and Compassion Fatigue. Canadian Journal of School Psychology
- Rodger, S., Bourdage, R.*, Hancock, K.*, Hsiang, R.*, Masters, R.*, & Leschied, A. (2016). Supporting Students: A GRADE Analysis of the Research on Student Wellness and Classroom Mental Health Support.Canadian Journal of School Psychology
- Atkins, M.A. * & Rodger, S. (2016) Preservice Teacher Education for Mental Health and Inclusion in Schools. Exceptional Education International, 26, 93-118.
Retrieved from http://ir.lib.uwo.ca/eei/vol26/iss2/6
- Meek, F.*, Specht, J. & Rodger, S. (2016). A mental health training format for adult education teachers. Canadian Journal of School Psychology, 1-19
- Rodger, S. & Leschied, A. (2016). Building Tools for Resiliency and Mental Health With Teachers and For Teachers. Physical and Health Education Journal (forthcoming)
- Smith, J.*, Rodger, S., Brown, J., Pickel, L.* DenDunnen, W.* & Leschied, A. (2015). Comparing the experiences and withdrawal considerations of treatment and regular foster care parents: The Canadian Perspective. International Journal of Child, Youth & Family Studies. 6(1), 93-110.
- Berman, H., Mason, R., Hall, J., Rodger, S, et al (2014). Laboring into mother in the context of past trauma: The transition to motherhood. Qualitative Health Research, 24(9), 1253-1264.
- Rodger, S., et al (2014). Shaping A Mental Health Curriculum for Canada’s Schools: Rationale and a Brief Overview. Physical and Health Education Journal 80 (3), 28-29.
- Schwean, V. & Rodger, S. (2013). Children first: It’s time to change! Mental health promotion, prevention, and treatment informed by public health, and resiliency approaches. Canadian Journal of School Psychology, 28 (1), 136-166.
Teaching and Supervision
Atkins, M.A. (2016) Stigma and Mental Illness at a Faculty of Education
Hancock, K. (2016). An examination of emotional intelligence as a potential mediator in educator stress and burnout
Hsiang, R. (2016). Teachers’ Mental Health: The Relevance of Emotional Intelligence on Burnout and Quality of Life
Linseman, S. (2016). Teacher Mental Health: Help-Seeking and Workplace Psychological Safety
Stordy, C. (2016) Accessibility and Self-disclosure of the Journey Through Mental Health: Youth Sharing Their Lived Experience.
Guigino, L. (2015). An Exploration of How Female University Professors Negotiate Personal and Professional Roles
Marko, K. (2015) An Examination of Teachers’ and Education Professionals’ Mental Health and Wellness
Masters, E. (2015) Talking to Parents about Child Mental health: Barriers and Enhancers to Effective ParentTeacher Communication
Saverimuthu, D. (2015) Resilience Factors in School Youth: Looking Through Gender and Cultural Lenses
Byrne, S. (2014) Children’s Voices in a School Based mental Health Needs Assessment
Coulter, L. (2014). Early Adolescents’ Experiences of Mental Health: A Mixed-Methods Investigation
Koenig, A. (2014). Compassion Fatigue and Burnout Among Teachers
Larion, K. (2014). Technology-Based Mental Health Support Strategies for Youth.
Lau, J. (2014). An Examination of the Influence of Poverty on Students’ Perceptions of School Safety, Bullying Behaviour, and School Programming: A Case Study.
Pipe, L. (2014) Mental Health and Safety in Schools: An Analysis of Children’s Perceptions and Experiences
Vandermeer, M. (2014) Secondary Traumatic Stress and Alexithymia in High Risk Professions
Woods, J. (2014). Evaluating Mental Health Education for Educators: Identifying and Supporting Students with Mental Health Problems.
Waters, L. (2013) The Transition to Motherhood: Women’s Experience as Survivors of Childhood Sexual Abuse
Bellhouse, L.(2013) The Hopes and Fears of Survivors of Childhood Sexual Abuse as they Transition to Motherhood
Taylor, S. (2013) Assessing Mental Health Risks for Offenders
Pickel, L (2012) The Aftermath of Intergenerational Trauma: Substance Abuse Risk an Resiliency
Janes, K. (2012) Hearing Women’s Voices: Understanding Women’s Stories of Violence from the Perspective of Strength
Epp, F.(2011) Experienced Clinicians: Trauma Recovery and the Healer
Lewis, J. (2011) Media Influences on Older Women’s Body Dissatisfaction
Boland, C. (2011) Mothering in the Context of Violence
Wilkins, J. (2010) Help-Seeking and Women Survivors of Violence
King-Brown, E. (2010) Trauma Symptoms and Coping Responses in Women Survivors of Violence.
Ford, T. (2009) Connecting Through Art: A Relational-Cultural Approach to Intimate Partner Violence
Machado, R. (2009) The Relationship of Self-Efficacy and Trauma with Academic Participation for Women Who Have Experienced Intimate Partner Violence
Yansen, L. (2009) An Investigation of the Effects of Trauma on Parenting
Andersen, J. (2008). Woman abuse, mental health, and parenting efficacy beliefs.
Harry, R. (2008). Photonovella: Learning through their voices.
Ross, S. (2008) Social support of female survivors of abuse.
Palmer, A. (2007). Mindfulness, stress and coping styles among university students.
Carter, A. (2007). The learning needs of survivors of woman abuse.
Campbell, J. (2006). Behaviour and math skills in children with concussion
Ross, O. (2006). Helping preservice teachers help children.
Fernandez, T. (2005). An outcome evaluation of the Safeteen girls’ program.
Thukral, T. (2004). Peer support programs and outcomes for adolescents.
Gampel, M. (2004) Women, violence and education.
Pantel, S. (2003). Preservice teacher efficacy, effectiveness and anxiety
Theories of Counselling, Counselling Interventions and Community Mental Health; Family, Group and Systemic Counselling; Trauma Counselling.
Special Topics: Mental Health Literacy in Education; 2016-17 5018 Q: Mental Health Literacy- Supporting Social-Emotional Development (mandatory, 279 students)